GBT Supported Conferences
Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) Therapeutics Conference
Held annually during National Sickle Cell Awareness Month in September, the SCD Therapeutics Conference is a forum to discuss the latest advancements and future trends for treating patients with SCD. Conference attendees hear presentations from healthcare companies, key opinion leaders, patients, policy makers and other stakeholders that play an important role in treating SCD.
To learn more about the SCD Therapeutics Conference, please visit the conference website.
SCD Access to Care Summit
People living with SCD face a myriad of challenges in accessing high-quality care throughout their lifetimes, which has a significant impact on the course of their disease and contributes to the shortened lifespan of these individuals. GBT has provided a forum for stakeholders involved in the care of SCD patients to exchange ideas with the aim of exploring ways to improve the lives of people living with this disease.
The SCD Access to Care Summit is an annual meeting intended to facilitate robust discussion and generate solutions to the challenges with accessing quality care for SCD patients. The Summit also showcases examples of successful innovations implemented across the country to address these issues.
2019 Access to Care Summit
The 2019 Access to Care Summit was focused on gaining a deeper understanding of the evolving stakeholder map related to SCD care for providers, insurers, advocates, and policy makers. The focus was idea and solution generation to help the SCD community adapt to the evolving Access-To-Care Landscape on three main topics:
- Addressing the Deficit in Provider Care – increase expertise among four groups of providers: hematologists, advanced care practitioners, emergency room personnel, and primary care physicians
- Navigating the Emerging Complexity of Treatment Coverage – educating health plans on the importance of maintaining open access to care and treatments for SCD
- Power of Effective Advocacy: Advancing Policy – educating and shaping policy to help ensure new treatments are discovered and high-quality health care are made available to SCD patients
2018 Access to Care Summit
The 2018 Access to Care Summit was focused on identifying and discussing several approaches that have made a meaningful impact on SCD patient care, both locally and regionally and outlined potential implementation roadmaps for others to utilize in their own communities. These approaches include:
- Expanding Care Within the Institution – establishing a sickle cell disease clinic and/or day hospital for comprehensive management
- Utilizing Existing Care Infrastructure – leveraging available institutional capacity by partnering with stakeholders outside the sickle cell disease arena
- Transitioning Adolescent Care – structuring transition between pediatric and adult care facilities
- Expanding Care Outside the Institution – building outreach models to extend the range of care into the community and beyond